Today kicks of my lettering series on the Attributes of God. I plan to cover one attribute a week for the next several weeks.
Why the attributes of God? Because as Dr. Steven J. Lawson says, “The higher our knowledge of God, the higher our worship will be of God… Everything about your worship hinges on it. (We) were made to worship God.”
There are several different studies on the Attributes of God, and each one differs as far as which attributes they cover. I am really hoping this will encourage you to dig into this topic for yourself. I have a few resources I can personally recommend that have helped me.
- The book, “The Attributes of God” by A.W. Pink. It’s a short book and you can find the pdf for free online if you do a google search.
- “Knowing the Living God,” a workbook by Paul Washer from @mediagratiae. My husband and I have been using this book with our kids for family worship. What I love about it is that every page points you to scripture. It’s important to look to the Word of God Himself to know the truth about Him, and this workbook helps you do exactly that!
- I highly recommend you download the One Passion app where you can find sermons by Dr. Steven J. Lawson. There is a series on there called the Attributes of God. I highly recommend taking the time to listen to that. You can listen while doing household chores, driving, or whenever else you find yourself normally listening to the radio. Set your mind on things above!
- You might also want to download the Sermon Audio app (or you can use the website). Each week, if you want to try to find a sermon or two to listen to on a particular attribute, you can do a search on Sermon Audio and look for solid preachers that may have something on the attribute you are looking for. For instance, you might search “The Immutability of God” or “The Holiness of God,” etc.
- Last, but most important: The Bible! I will be sharing scriptures on each attribute, but you can also search the scriptures yourself to see what else you can find on any particular attribute of God.
I will cover one attribute a week for a set amount of weeks that will depend on how many attributes I decide to cover. I am still compiling my list of which attributes I plan to include. I will be lettering the attributes and the scriptures that support them. I may also include helpful quotes from some solid bible teachers and pastors.
There is no way for our finite minds to know our infinite God exhaustively, but that doesn’t give us an excuse not to try to know Him as much as He has revealed Himself to us in His word. I am thankful for solid teachers like Paul Washer, Steve Lawson, A.W. Pink, and many others that have put these attributes together for us to point us to the truth found in His Word. I hope and pray that this series will encourage you in growing in the knowledge of God, growing in your love for Him, and growing in your motivation to share the truth in love.
If you don’t already know God, I am praying for you, too. God’s word will not return void, and I praise Him that I know He will accomplish everything He has foreordained with this series.
I’d like to leave you with the following quote by J.I. Packer:
“We are cruel to ourselves if we try to live in this world without knowing about the God whose world it is and who runs it. The world becomes a strange, mad, painful place, and life in it a disappointing and unpleasant business, for those who do not know about God.”